Thursday, June 26, 2008

Berlin: The Last Full Day

Well, today is my last complete day in Berlin for some time. This city is simply amazing, and I know I keep saying this, but everyone needs to visit here at least once in their lifetime.

Today we went to a museum at Checkpoint Charlie. They displayed several ways people escaped from the East Berlin to West Berlin and the DDR into the BRD. Someone hid in a suitcase. Another hid in a stereo cabinent. People hid in trunks of cars. One car was even short enough to drive under a barricade. People used hot air balloons. Another person hid in the seat of a car. Powerful stuff.

Then we went through the museum of German film. That was actually quite interesting. But at that point, I was over guided tours, so I just kind of went through on my own. I saw the costume Marlene Dietrich wore for her cameo in Paris When it Sizzles with Audrey Hepburn. That was sweet.

Kate and Erin have to leave tonight in order to catch the EuroStar out of Paris tomorrow because there is no train to Paris tomorrow morning. I think it will be a little easier than leaving Mayen was, simply because I know that I will see Kate and Erin again soon, but I will have to wait a long time to see Christina. :( I am going to the train station with Kate and Erin tonight because I have to see them off. This really is the beginning of the end of the six amazing weeks we spent in Germany. They are the first to leave. I don't think that the end will hit home for me until tonight. I am trying not to dwell on it and let it ruin the rest of my night, but I only have five-ish hours left with Kate and Erin - two people with whom I have grown incredibly close to in these six weeks. I keep telling myself that it's not good bye, it's just aufwiedersehen, and it is. But I think that their departure really symbolizes the end of the trip for me. In less than 24 hours, I will be on a train to Darmstadt, and the Mayen program will be officially over in fifteen.

We used to count down the days until we came to Germany, and now our time in Germany is almost over. This trip has meant so much to me, and the friendships I made will last a lifetime, and even though physical distance may (and probably will) come between us, nothing can break the bond that we made on this trip.

I guess this will probably be one of, if not my last, posts for this trip. It has been amazing. And I have changed in so many positive ways. I have finally accepted that I am going home, and I won't fight it. I am sad to leave, but there are people I want to see back home, and I didn't really realize it until I talked to Emily last night.

It's been real, Deutschland. Vielen Dank fuer alles. Bis spaeter! Ich werde dich vermissen.

No comments: