Tuesday, June 24, 2008

BERLIN! Part 1

Well, we made it to Berlin today. We didn't forget/lose anyone, and there weren't six train connections. I am so happy to be here, and Berlin is my favorite city in the world, with New York a close second.

Today I saw the Brandenburger Tor, Unter Den Linden (google it), Checkpoint Charlie, part of the Berlin Wall, The Reichstag, usw. We took a boat tour on the Spree, and it was a nice relaxing way to see the city when we first got here.

We got here around 1pm, Germany time, and then I had lunch in a nice sushi restaurant with John, Melissa, and Jacqui. It was so crazy to finally see all the stuff I've been learning about for three years in person. I love this country.

Today I bought Breakfast at Tiffany's (the book) auf Deutsch and Beim Haeuten der Zwiebel by Guenther Grass. I am still looking for Mein Jahrhundert with the watercolors. And I bought a piece of the Berlin Wall.

Tomorrow we have a bus tour of the city and a museum tour (I think) at Checkpoint Charlie.

It seems so strange that I am already in Berlin. It seems like only yesterday I was suffering from extreme jet lag while trying to speak German and arriving in Mayen. Where the heck did all this time go?

I know I started out saying that I never want to go home, but now I realize that I need to go home. I have to go home in order to come back to Germany. I have to go home to graduate; I have to go home to do my student teaching; and I have to go home to get a job as a German teacher, which will allow me to bring students back here. I will have the opportunity to share with my future students what I feel for Germany and German language and culture. This trip confirmed a lot of things that I already knew, and one of those things was how much I need to be a German teacher. I love this place. I have finally found my major. I have finally found my calling in life. And I can't wait to share my passion for this country, language, and culture with my future students.

I am going to go out and explore a little more of Berlin tonight with my friends. I just can't believe, dass die Zeit fast vorbei ist.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

You also have to come home so you can drive to Indiana and visit me! Or so I can drive to Michigan and visit you, either way works...but Germany is just TOO FAR. ;)